Frequently Asked Questions

Getting Started

No. International Studies is a flexible secondary major that can be added to a primary major in any other study area.

Both the major and minor require students to take INTST 235 and 430. The secondary major in International Studies requires a minimum of 27-credits and minor 18-credits.

Yes. Students must complete or have language proficiency equivalent to two years of college-level study of a world language relevant to the selected geographic region. These language courses do not count towards the minimum credit requirements for the major or minor.

International students, whose first language is not English, can select a geographic region that matches their home country and the language and study abroad requirement are exempt. To meet the minimum credit requirements, students would need to take an additional 3-credit course in a geographic region instead.

International students can also choose to select a geographic region that does not match their home country and complete the language and study abroad requirement.

Iowa State does not offer an international relations program at this time. Students can customize their International Studies coursework to be similar to an international relations degree program. Common examples are majoring in Political Science and choosing International Studies topical modules in globalization and economic development or international conflict.

Study Abroad

Students must have international experience (study, service, or internship) for three weeks and earn a minimum of 3-credits.

Yes. We encourage our students to study in a location relevant to their region of interest, but this is not required.

No. Students must study somewhere outside the United States to fulfill the international experience component.

Iowa State offers multiple resources to find information about studying abroad. LAS Study Abroad offers programs open to all majors, and most focus on language, short-term, faculty-led, or academic programs within the College of LAS. The Study Abroad Center coordinates university-wide programs. ISUAbroad provides more details about all ISU study abroad programs, such as application requirements, cost, courses offered, and more.

Review approved course options and make a plan with your academic advisor(s).

After Graduation

Almost anything! Since International Studies is so customizable, there are many options for what you can do post-graduation. For example, many students go into non-profit or government work. LAS Career Services has helpful resources if you want ideas that are more specific.

No. Students can find diverse employment opportunities with a bachelor’s degree, and they do not need to pursue graduate school. If students are interested, an advanced degree can provide them with greater specialty and expertise in an area of interes

The program can enhance existing knowledge about the world and bring a global context to your degree program. After completing your international studies program, you can show competency in multicultural contexts, demonstrate a unique perspective when applying for jobs, language skills, and cultural understanding.